CALL FOR APPLICATION - ACADEMIC YEAR 2017/18
Full Scholarships for Master of Arts Programs:
in Social Sciences and in International Development Studies
The Heinrich Böll Stiftung (hbs) Myanmar Office invites qualified candidates living and working in Myanmar to apply for its Scholarship Program for Master of Arts Programs at selected partner Universities in Thailand.
One scholarship will be awarded in a competitive selection process for the academic year 2017/18 for each the following two fulltime international MA programs:
- Master of Social Sciences (International Program, 2 academic years) at Regional Center for Social Science and Sustainable Development, Faculty of Social Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai
- Master of Arts in International Development Studies (MAIDS), (International Program, 1 academic year) at Chulalongkorn University, Faculty of Political Science, Bangkok
Application schedule for the academic year 2017*
- Social Sciences, RCSD, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai (30 April 2017*)
- Development Studies MAIDS, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok (31 March 2017*)
*Please visit respective program websites for updates on dates and deadlines
- Preconditions to be eligible for the Scholarship Program
- All applicants require a bachelor’s degree and a strong academic background.
- Applicants must live and work in Myanmar and be willing and likely to return to Myanmar after graduation.
- Candidates must prove a very good spoken and written command of English, according to the required TOEFL and IELTS etc. score of the respective university and program.
- Applicants accept to maintain student status throughout the period of the study. They should devote themselves fulltime and with ambition to the study and abide by all terms and conditions outlined in a Memorandum of Understanding signed by a representative of hbs and the scholarship recipient.
- We promote those studying and graduating who share the fundamental ideals of hbs that is: democracy, ecology, solidarity and non-violence – and who take an active socio-political role. We give priority to applicants with relevant working experience and social commitment who seek employment with local civil society organizations, the public sector or research institutes/think-tanks in Myanmar.
- We pay particular attention to have a balanced participation of women and men in the Scholarship Program and we invite applicants from all ethnic groups.
- Students must agree to participate in a compulsory one week summer school, to be organized by hbs in Yangon during the course of the academic.
- Financial benefits of the scholarship
The objective of the Scholarship Program is to provide an opportunity for students to develop their academic, intellectual and personal skills and capacities, their perspective on national, regional and international politics as well as concepts of development and sustainability. The Scholarship Program is designed to provide sufficient financial support to students and will cover the regular period of study as defined by the program.
The scholarship includes:
1. Tuition & registration fees
2. Travelling costs:
2.1 Return trip from Myanmar to Thailand
2.2 Travelling costs for field trip for data collection (if necessary)
3. Fixed monthly allowance for food, accommodation etc.
4. Health insurance
- Application procedure step by step:
- Visit the respective website of the program, study the application procedures and requirements in detail and download application forms. Fill out application forms and collect all necessary application documents.
- Applicants MUST send the application form and all required documents directly to the University Program by email, courier or registered mail, delivered to the program office (please see the address in application forms) before the application deadline.
Please take note that the final application deadline might be subject to change, therefore regularly visit the website of the respective program. The University will only accept complete applications! Please check your application documents carefully! If you expect some documents to be available only after application deadline please inform the University (program officer) in advance!
- Applications must send a scanned copy of application documents per email to hbs to email@example.com.
Please send only ONE pdf.-file per application (of no more than 5 MB file size)
- For questions concerning the application process please contact the respective University (program officer) directly (contact see below).
- Only candidates with sufficient academic qualifications and strong proven English skills will be admitted to the University.
- hbs and the respective Universities will select the final candidates for the scholarship from the short list of admitted candidates together.
- hbs and the respective University program may contact applicants for interviews during the selection process in 2017. The interviews will be held in Yangon. Applicants have to cover the travel costs to the interview venue themselves. Invitations for the interview will be sent out a few weeks in advance.
- Decisions made are final. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
- Applicants can re-apply for the Scholarship Program the following year. Applicants already admitted to the University but not awarded a scholarship may keep this admission for re-application for the scholarship.
- Selected candidates may need to attend a mandatory preparation-course before the official start of the program, if necessary.
- Contacts to University Programs*
Master of Arts in Social Science,
Regional Center of Social Science and Sustainable Development (RCSD), Faculty of Sociel Sciences, Chiang Mai University
239 Huay Kaew Road, Tambon Suthep, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Contact person: Ms. Rungthiwa Hacker
Master of Arts in International Development Studies Program (MAIDS)
Room 114, 1st Floor Building No. 2
Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University
Henri-Dunant Road, Pathumwan
Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Contact person: Mr. Wirot Akesakulpanich
*please check website for updated contact information
- Contact: Heinrich Böll Stiftung Myanmar:
Heinrich Böll Stiftung Myanmar
45 (A) Kan Lane 3, Karmayut Township
Contact person: Ms Zun Pwint Aye (Finance Coordinator)
Tel: (+95) 9 31 68 58 46